Sodium lauryl sulfate or SLS is a chemical found in a large number of products we use on our bodies every day. From toothpaste to shampoos, to creams, lotions, soaps, cleansers, moisturisers and more. SLS is a lathering agent used in personal care products so that we can get that warm and fuzzy clean feeling when we see all the bubbles happening. But is it really needed and at what cost?
SLS has come under quite a bit of scrutiny for its safety and potential toxicity. It can irritate our skin as it strips our hair and skin of moisture. It can irritate our eyes, gums, cause hair loss and as an absorbing agent, can cause other toxins to be more readily absorbed.
Today, there are many healthier, skin friendly alternatives and SLS free options we can choose from for our personal care products starting with right here.