Eco Friendly Toothbrush
Cleaning your teeth is an essential part of your daily routine. Doing it properly and regularly — first thing in the morning and last thing at night are the minimum your friendly dentist would recommend to keep your mouth healthy and prevent tooth decay and gum disease. But good habits can have unforeseen consequences, which in this case is an increase in plastic litter. +
The Threat from Plastic Toothbrushes
It is now widely known and accepted that plastic waste is harmful and is particularly having a terrible effect on our oceans and marine life. Toothbrushes, which are made largely of plastic, are a major contributor to this problem since each one takes up to one thousand years to decompose.
It is thought that people on average use 300 toothbrushes in their lifetime and each one of these generally goes into general waste. In total, around 3.6 billion plastic toothbrushes are used each year throughout the world and some 80% of these end up in landfill.
The only real answer to the problem is a truly eco friendly toothbrush, but this is more difficult to achieve than may be imagined. Whilst a biodegradable handle is relatively easy to achieve, the business part of the toothbrush — the bristles — poses more of a challenge.
Natural bristles, such as those made from badger or pig hair, are not acceptable to vegans and are considered too abrasive for gums. These also tend to retain moisture and so form a perfect environment for bacteria to grow. Consequently, great care needs to be taken in cleaning and drying the bristles so that food debris and moisture are removed, but even this is not usually good enough.
An effective solution is to have bristles made from nylon, which at least can be free of the chemical BPA that can cause health problems such as heart disease and endocrine disrupting health issues. Although these bristles are not biodegradable, they can be removed with some handy tools at home and recycled when the brush is replaced (usually every one to four months).
Buy a Bamboo Toothbrush and Reduce Plastic Waste
A bamboo toothbrush from Wholesome Hub is one of the best ways to keep your mouth and the world as healthy as possible. The handle of the toothbrush is not only comfortable to use but is also made from one of the most sustainable and environmentally friendly materials on the planet.
The bamboo we use is not eaten by pandas and is grown sustainably without the need for pesticides or other chemicals. It’s one of the most abundant plants on earth, regenerates naturally and is incredibly fast growing.
To be effective as well as eco friendly, the bristles are a mixture of nylon. Although these aren’t naturally biodegradable as the handle is, they can be recycled and so won’t add to plastic waste. When the toothbrush comes to the end of its life, you can throw it in the general waste knowing it will degrade much quicker than its plastic equivalent. Even better, remove the bristles for recycling and put the handle on the compost heap where it will decompose naturally.
The result is a toothbrush that’s great for your oral health and good for the planet. So brushing your teeth with a clear conscience has never been easier.
Benefits of Using an Eco-Friendly Toothbrush
From less bacteria lingering between uses to being better for the environment, there are so many pros to using a bamboo toothbrush. Let’s explore some of them!
Biodegradability. Standard toothbrushes with plastic handles don’t degrade well, whereas a toothbrush that has a bamboo handle does. So, whenever you throw your old brush away, you’ll rest easy knowing that before long it will have decomposed naturally rather than hanging around in a landfill for years, even decades.
Personalise It! You can invest in a bamboo toothbrush for each member of your family without worrying about which toothbrush belongs to who. Unlike plastic, when you write your name on bamboo, it won’t be rubbed off within days, and you can easily find your own. Let’s not forget that designing a toothbrush is exactly the type of thing your children will enjoy so why not make it a fun activity that will encourage regular brushing?
Move Away from Plastic
Still not convinced about making the switch to a bamboo handle? Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying a toothbrush that has a bamboo handle is worth it when you keep in mind the cons of sticking to plastic;
- Plastic toothbrushes will contribute to your carbon footprint
- Plastic toothbrush bristles are often made from animal hair
- A plastic toothbrush must be replaced more often than eco-friendly alternatives
A Little About Our Eco-Friendly Toothbrushes
Buying an eco-friendly brush from the Wholesome Hub store will give you all of the benefits we’ve listed above and more.
- All of the toothbrushes we have in our store are reasonably priced so that you can switch from plastic to bamboo without cost being a barrier!
- Our toothbrushes are vegan-friendly and GMO-free
- Children and adult eco-friendly toothbrushes are available
- With softer bristles, you can enhance your oral hygiene without any discomfort or bleeding
- We have brushes that are suitable for anyone who has sensitive teeth, gums, or is prone to mouth ulcers
Buying from Wholesome Hub
At Wholesome Hub, we offer much more than organic and eco-friendly products. Here’s why we’re the best place to buy a bamboo toothbrush and many other health promoting and environmentally friendly items;
- If you place an order that exceeds $150, you’ll automatically get free shipping
- We offer products that are gluten-free, GMO-free, nut free, and vegetarian friendly
- The Wholesome Hub support team are readily available to answer your questions
- Food, drinks, cosmetics, and organic baby products are just the start of what we sell
- Our team are constantly looking out for the newest products for customers to try and everything we add to our store is organic
To top it off, we’re always doing our best to help others reduce their carbon footprint while keeping themselves healthy, that’s where our blog comes in! Stay up to date and find out what you can do to protect the environment by checking back in with us often.
Eco Friendly Bambo Toothbrush Australia
Where can you find the best eco friendly toothbrush?
If you're looking for the best eco-friendly toothbrushes, look no further. Seriously. The best place to buy an eco-friendly toothbrush is right here at Wholesome Hub. Why? Because they're top quality whilst not costing you an arm and a leg!
Our founder, Sandy, is not just a nurse, or a mum, she is also a planet lover. When we created Wholesome Hub in 2016, we wanted to allow everyone an affordable option to contribute to saving not just our beautiful home country, but the planet that we happen to inhabit.
One of the many ways to do this is trading out your plastic toothbrush for one which is far more eco-friendly, a wooden toothbrush.
Aren't all toothbrushes reusable, and therefore eco friendly?
The short and simple answer here is: no. Reusable is not always synonymous with eco-friendly. Just because your plastic toothbrush is reusable, it doesn't mean that it is eco-friendly. Why? Because when you throw it out, no matter how many times you've used it, the plastic handle will not degrade. At least not in your lifetime. Plastics, most of which can't be recycled, can take hundreds, if not thousands of years to begin the degradation process.
Why should you choose a wooden toothbrush?
There are several reasons why you should choose to buy your wooden toothbrush from Wholesome Hub. Just a few of these are listed below.
- Wooden toothbrushes are more eco-friendly
- Our bamboo toothbrushes are biodegradable - You don't have to feel guilty about replacing your toothbrush! Where our wooden toothbrushes are biodegradable, which means that it's capable of being decomposed by living organisms, their plastic counterparts do not degrade, which means that they can stick around on the earth for hundreds of years after you throw them out.
- They are zero waste
- Our eco-friendly wooden toothbrushes do not cost the earth - At Wholesome Hub, we provide a range of bamboo toothbrushes which are suitable for both adults and children. You may think that this is an unnecessary luxury and that you're probably going to pay through the nose for it. However, this is not the case. An example of that is our range of The Environmental bamboo toothbrushes. They are available in multiple bristle strengths, with options suitable for both adults and children, but cost just $3.95 per brush. And if that wasn't a good enough deal, you can also purchase them with After Pay, meaning that you can pay in 4 fortnightly instalments of just $0.99!
If you decide you'd like to give one of the best eco-friendly wooden toothbrushes in Australia a try, you can place an order on our website really easily. We package and ship our orders from 9am – 4:30pm AEST throughout the working week, and offer a flat rate of $9.95 on shipping to all mainland Australian addresses, which is free if you spend over $99! If you have any questions or queries, you can also email us at email@example.com, and someone will get back to you ASAP.Read Less
This category is empty! Please try another category or use our search function to find what you are looking for. If you require further assistance please contact us.